Is it too soon? (UPDATE: With Pics)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jengro65, Oct 8, 2011.

1. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    My chicks are 2 weeks today and still sleep under Mama in the chicken hutch at night. During the day I open the hutch that's in a 10x10 chain link run that's attached to the big coop. The rest of my flock (9 hens and 1 roo) hang out in my fenced pasture area....ANYWAY...is it too soon to open all gates and doors and them them mingle together? They've had 2 weeks of looking at each other through the fence. Mom is a good mom but she's low on the pecking order.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

My five babies did fine. They are running with the whole gang. Mama may be low on the pecking order but, trust me, that changes drastically when she is protecting her babies!

3. ChickenMack

ChickenMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    My hen just hatched a clutch eight weeks ago- it was my first. I kept mom and chicks seperated until the chicks were three weeks and getting really hard to contain in the brooding pen. I knew the hen would be protective since whenever we put our hands in the brooding house she would ATTACK. When I put them all in the the flock, they were pretty blase about the whole thing but momma was pretty alert. And the more space they have, I found that momma hen would keep the chicks away from the flock.

They slept under her and she clucked at them constantly and presented food and then at six weeks- poof- she "woke" out of her daze and her momma hens days were done. She was back on the roost, taking food from the chicks (instead of presenting) and basically ignoring their plaintive cheeps.

They will still try to get under her even on the roost but she will give them a peck to the head. So if your chicks are healthy and can move around pretty good, give it a try, you can always move them back to isolation if you find it's too early.

4. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    After reading those positive replies i decided to just give it a try....Of course I went armed with a broom in case things got ugly, plus drug my 26 year old daughter along (kicking and screaming) just in case the worst happened.
    We opened the hen door to the run and sat patiently with the babies and mom and waited for the gang to notice the door was open.
    My one and only Roo "Don Juan" entered first. Except for 1 half hearted peck at a baby and a semi good one at mom he didn't seem to care. He was more interested in digging and scratching around in the open chicken hutch I used as a brooder. The rest of my hens filed in one at a time and my top hen went after mama. They seemed airborne with feathers flying and babies running for cover until.....much to my shock!!!...Don Juan charged in like a bat out of hell, jumped in the middle with a squawk and the fight ended as fast as it started.
    I felt comfortable coming in the house after that but still plan to go check every hour or so....here are some pics from today

Mom teaching how to Roost
    [​IMG]

Aunt Penny joining on the roost and no blood bath occured:)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Handsome Papa just because
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  5. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    They are sooo sweet. What a good mama. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]