Is it too young to determine if pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicodemus, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Chicodemus

Chicodemus New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Hello everyone

I have a pair of 6 week old Delaware chicks and i am noticing that one in particular looks different then the other. I think one is a cockerel. Is there a way to determine this at this point in time? Here are some photos. These are photos of my suspect: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the photo of the othet chick:
    [​IMG]

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    Notice how the comb on the 1st chick is larger and more orange? That can be a sign, but frustratingly, there is no real way to tell until they show definite signs, such as crowing, sickle feathers, or spurs, etc. They are very cute chicks.
    My profile picture is of the 1 roo that we had in a batch of 6 chicks. We had our suspicions, but we didn't know until he grew sickle feathers. We kept him until he started crowing at our dog, then, unfortunately due to town laws, we had to give him away.
    Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
    Best of luck,
    -M

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  3. Chicodemus

Chicodemus New Egg

Sep 25, 2016
    Thanks for your insight. I have the same issues with city ordinances as well so I'm trying to grt ahead of this. I was looking at a rooster collar, just in case.

4. PorchChickens

PorchChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 15, 2017
    FLAR-duh
    *throws two cents in* At six weeks I'd think the first one would have more redness and wattle development if it were a cockerel. Delawares grow fast and some pullets look very boy-ish when growing. I had one with a big comb, barred tail, thick legs, all of it. Lays some very big eggs for a rooster! [​IMG] Don't give up on the little peep just yet!

Also, [​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The first one looks like a cockerel to me.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by