1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it toooo soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OkieChix, Nov 28, 2010.

1. OkieChix

OkieChix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    just a few more days then i will have little peepers. moohaha. i cant wait. how long do i wait to take them out of the incubator. if the othere eggs havent hatched yet but still look like they might? and when do i stop turning them im doing it by hand. just went and turned one ant one has already pip his shell and i can here it peep. its so cute. its too soon im not ready ether. i thought i had 2more days

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
  2. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    You should stop turning them on Day 18, which is when lockdown begins.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Do NOT turn them if they are pipping! They will get turned around and won't be able to get out, plus if they're upside down the liquid will pool towards the bottom and can drown them. They can be taken out after they are dry, but you can also wait up to 48 hours so they can all hatch first.

4. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    hi, do you know what day you are on????????
    Humidity needs to be raised the last three days......
    Good luck [​IMG]

5. OkieChix

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    i put them in on the 9th. so i need to turn them back around? help me please i feel bad now. i didnt know anything about lockdown.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I apologize if this sounds harsh, but this is great example of what happens when someone doesn't do their research ahead of time.

Stop turning, increase the humidity NOW since you already have a pip, and DO NOT OPEN THE BATOR after you have added water. Yours should have been locked down yesterday, with no turning, increased humidity, etc.

Please. Go do some research on hatching before you try this again. Make sure you have all the basic information you need. And I hope these hatch for you.

7. OkieChix

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    ty. i honestly did know if they would hatch or not. i found them in my grage where i was keeping my hens and i didnt know how they were so in stead of trashing them i desided to hatch them well try anyways. but they seem to still be wiggleing so i hope that is a good sign.

8. debilorrah

Quote:That is a good sign! I really encourage you to use the search feature here and get all the information you can get before you try hatching again. Good luck!!!

9. OkieChix

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    ok now i have 2 that have pip. how long does it take them? this is my second hatch but it was like 4 years ago. your right i shoul have done some resrch just to get updated. i hope i didnt lose any of them.

10. debilorrah

Quote:I hope not too honey. It usually takes a bird up to 24 hours to zip out. I have three pips myself right now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by