Is it TRUE? Help! Coccidiosis Question

fezlet

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Alabama
So after trial and error I think one of my 6 week old chicks is battling Coccidiosis. Ruffled feathers, lethargic, retarded growth, massive weight loss, and anemia. I have him on day 1 1/2 of Corid (5-day treatment). Granted he appears to be feeling better, but I can't help but be worried since I lost my Silkie chick a few days ago.

I did a lot, I mean A LOT of research on the different strains of Coccidiosis last night. My chick hasn't had any really bloody poops, but he did pass three very large... sacks I guess you could say of very dark clotted blood.

Is it true that Coccidiosis does not necessarily always produce bloody poops? An article I read said once the case gets severe is when the blood starts coming.

Is it true that once diagnosed with Coccidiosis the chick should be taken off of the medicated starter feed and put on organic crumbles because the medicated starter feed inhibits the ability for the Corid, or any other Cocci battling medication, to really work?

And is it true that I should deny vitamins, electrolytes, and any form of protein while my chick is being treated with a Cocci medication? I read a thread on another website where the person was really emphasizing that these things will completely null the fact that you're giving them a Cocci medication because they (vitamins, protein) will actually make the Coccidiosis stronger and reproduce faster.

Coccidiosis does NOT have to have bloody poo evident.

No, they can stay on the medicated feed. It is even sometimes medicated with corid in minute quantities.

Don't give extra vitamins while on corid. Electrolytes are fine. They need protein as usual. Corid is a thiamine blocking agent (it acts like thiamine and thus the cocci die from thiamine loss).

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm
here is a nice link

Last edited:
woot.gif
Glad he can still have protein and stay on his medicated feed! Thanks so much for the quick reply!

FYI, I was told to take my chick off of the medicated feed while she was on corrid. When she was still very sick i syringe fed her tiny bits of plain yogurt along with the corrid to give her some nourishment. Once she got a little stronger it was hard boiled egg yolk mixed with plain yogurt. Hope she recovers!

Quote:
Thanks for the tips! I'll make sure to stop by the feed store to get some organic crumbles just in case.

I have the same question! I have been told to not give medicated feed along with anti Coccidiosis medicine as it nulls its effect. But my chicks has actually shown growth after I started medicated feed (which was in the middle of the Cocci treatment). So, confused about this

Most medicated feed contains a small amount of amprolium which is the active ingredient in Corid. The only reason I can see why people wound suggest not to use the medicated feed with Corid is perhaps concern about overdosing, but Cotid is pretty safe in that respect and the small amount in the feed is unlikely to make a significant difference.

Most medicated feed contains a small amount of amprolium which is the active ingredient in Corid. The only reason I can see why people wound suggest not to use the medicated feed with Corid is perhaps concern about overdosing, but Cotid is pretty safe in that respect and the small amount in the feed is unlikely to make a significant difference.
I am using another drug called Coccicinilplus which has 20% of AMPROLIUM in it. I am attaching a pic of its composition for reference.
20181101_191208.jpg

Back
Top Bottom