Is it true if you breed two BLRWs they will breed true to the blue genetics not all BLRW?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by moving coops, Jan 12, 2017.

1. moving coops

moving coops Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2017
    Okay Is it true if you breed two BLRWs then you will not get all BLRWyandotes or splash Wyandottes.

You will actually get 25% Black Laced Red as Well? If that is the case are they really GLWs then as would they not look the same? And as chicks could you tell which would be black laced?

2. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    Just never clued in they would follow the blue genetics formula! Would explain some my dark girls from the eggs I bought from my friend! [​IMG]

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    All blue fowl follow the same formula, whether they are solid or laced. So I'm sure by now you realize the offspring will follow this:

black laced red x black laced red = 100% black laced red
    black laced red x blue laced red = 50% black laced red, 50% blue laced red
    black laced red x splash laced red = 100% blue laced red
    blue laced red x blue laced red = 25% black laced red, 50% blue laced red, 25% splash laced red
    blue laced red x splash laced red = 50% blue laced red, 50% splash laced red
    splash laced red x splash laced red = 100% splash laced red

Of course the shade of blue can vary from light to dark, so sometimes it can be difficult to distinguish dark blue laced birds from black laced red.

bantamsrmyfav likes this.
  4. moving coops

Jan 5, 2017
    And the black laced red will look very different from Gold laced Wyandottes? I am thinking might be hard to tell the difference between my two breed colors!!!

5. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Black Laced Red will have a rich red color as opposed to the gold tone of the true gold laced.

6. ppimf

ppimf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2012
    ellis kansas
    So does it matter if you have a black laced red roo over splash hens, or black laced red hens over splash roo. Will you get the same outcome?

7. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    You will get the same outcome either way - all offspring will be blue laced.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by