Is it true that EE's are harder to candle?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SusanJoM, May 13, 2008.

1. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm kinda hoping the answer is yes, since they are the first eggs I've even tried to candle, and I'm having a hard time.

I'd like to think that at least some of the problem has to do with the difficulty of the task I've taken on as my first???

Guess if I'd done more research before I jumped in I'd have know better than to start with them, but.....

Too late now.....

Grin

Susan

2. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I would think so because of there color.

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hi Susan,

We raise EE's and I have a heck of a time candling their eggs too, so it's not just you. [​IMG]

I've tried new batteries, different flashlights...all to no avail!

...and just keep on hatching them...because I can! [​IMG]

Hoping this makes you feel better!

Dawn

4. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    I had a hard time myself candling my Golden sex-links because of the color of the egg. I think that color makes a big difference.

5. SusanJoM

Quote:It definitely does help me.
    Thank you so much.

Susan

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Yes, they're monsters to candle... I can candle welsummer and marans eggs better than I can easter eggers or even ameraucana eggs!

Once the aircell grows (by day ten or later) you can shine your light through the aircell and you might be able to see some veining.

8. SusanJoM

I just made one almost like that. I mounted a ceramic socket on a piece of 1 X 6, wired it to a piece of old extension cord and added a plug. Then I used some nails to punch out a hole in the bottom of a clean empty paint can and used some old leather to make a pouch around the hole.

Then I read the rest of that post and realized that I shouldn't be turning my eggs upside down to put them on top of that gizmo, so I now have it up on a shelf at eye level so that the hole with the light coming through it is horizontal instead of vertical.

When that room gets dark (and/or I find something to close the window off well enough) I will try it out on my EE eggs.....actually these are true Ameraucanas, but I figured the candling issue would be about the same....?

Susan

Oh, for the light bulb, I have a flourescent flood....takes a couple of minutes to get up to full light, but it stays cooler than an incandescent bulb would.....and I had it hanging around....

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  9. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Yeah go read my post about candling before you make my candler (which was also based on a post off of here). They're telling me my eggs are upside down!! I'm trying to find out now if it's ok to set them on their sides to look, as my candler works fine that way as well, if it's ok to do.

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    As for EE eggs Susan, I had a heckuva time with them on day 10, but on Day 14 you shouldn't have much trouble with the candler you made.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by