is it true that if i get more than one rooster they will fight and hurt each other?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jessmg1987, Feb 25, 2014.

1. jessmg1987

jessmg1987 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    I have 11 hens and 1 rooster. i am wanting too get another rooster for my coop. is this a bad idea?

2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I have successfully introduced young cockerels to adult roosters before. Now when I say young, I mean fully feathered, but not yet crowing, and combs and wattles not all the way developed. They go through the pecking order like normal. I'm not saying that it's not possible, but I've never had success with introducing two different adult roosters. Also, if you do get another roo, you might want to bump up your hen population as well.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yes, it's probably a bad idea. Why do you want another rooster?

Bringing in any new bird stresses the flock. If the new rooster is sexually mature, he and the current rooster are going to have to figure out who is boss, and that involves sparring at the least, hard-core fighting at the worst. He'll also have to convenience the hens he's dominant to them and allow them to mate with him.

If you free range, things could go better, but if your birds are cooped, unless they have tons and tons of space--I'm talking over 20 square feet each--I would't do it. There would have to be a ton of gain from the new rooster to disrupt the flock that much, and if the new rooster was worth all that, he would be replacing the current rooster.

4. jessmg1987

Feb 2, 2014
    I want another rooster because i want to try and breed some different breeds of birds like silkie. also the auction that i go to to get my chickens usually sales a rooster and hen together.

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    You need another coop, pen or whatever if you want to get into breeding.

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    You could have two separate flocks, but I would not put the two roosters together in the established flock. They will fight. There will most likely be injuries. Maybe not serious injuries, but they will have to establish dominance, and to do that it usually involves fighting and usually more than once.

7. suzannaj

suzannaj New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Yes and no. I had two huge Buff Orpington roosters that tried to kill each other only when they wanted the same hen at the same time. Other than that they had great respect for each other. I bid both of them a fond fair well last week and now have the most peaceful hens ever! Some breeds are more docile and others more aggressive.

8. jessmg1987

Feb 2, 2014
    I was thinking of getting a Americano rooster

9. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama

In post #4 you said you wanted to breed silkies....you need to whack your present rooster and get silkie rooster then. Otherwise you'll be breeding Americano roosters.
    Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by