Is it true that light on the house can scare away predators from chickens coop?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chickadee-23, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I was told if u put a outside light on the coop it would keep the predators away, just wondering if its true or not? Thanks

2. loveourbirds

loveourbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    if you live in an area that is pretty dark, a light will help keep away several nighttime predators. if your in the city, most of them are already accustomed to the light.

3. Chickadee-23

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Ok thanks i live in the country, on about 7 acres of land and yes its mostly dark, so i need an outside light for my chickens house :)

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    I definitely would not count on it. Predators get used to many things, including human activity.

5. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    your right, its not going to "predator proof" your hen house by no means. it will help some though.

i thought it should also be mentioned that running white lights 24 hours on a backyard flock is not a good idea. i tried this for heat reasons in my barns, in the spring when I turned them off; i forced most of the chickens in that building into a molt.

6. Chickadee-23

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    Ok, the only predator i had so far is a opposum & owls, and they scared of me lol :) thanks

7. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    I have two of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/36-led-solar-security-light-69644.html

I mounted them on the pen on opposite sides, they act like a normal solar light giving dim light until movement is sensed then they get much brighter for a minute or so. Do they really keep things away, not sure but they make me feel better. It's my thought(hope?) that the change in brightness will startle critters more than a steady level of light. I'm pretty sure that my coop/run is secure anyway, I never close the door to the coop.

8. loveourbirds

Mar 27, 2013
    waverly ohio
    the best thing i have found to keep predators away is dogs. i space them around the place near the doors of the coops. we have alot of trouble with theft around here, the dogs help that too.

9. silver-quail

silver-quail Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    B.c.
    Lights don't work but guns do

10. Coop Deville

Coop Deville Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2012
    Sure do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by