Is it true that roosters are mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Desirai, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    hi, I'm 100% new to chickens. I am still learning about chickens before I get some.

Is it true roosters are mean and will attack you or your other chickens or pets?

So whenever I get chickens do I only want female chickens?

I want them as pets and maybe for eggs.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Noooooo. There are loads out there that are mean, yes, mainly because of irresponsible breeding (bred solely for the hen's egg production, leaving out temperament) But there's LOADS of really really sweet gentlemen out there! [​IMG]

If all roosters were mean, I don't know how breeders, or exhibitioners, or even cockfighters would deal with it. They have to deal with roosters, hands on, all the time. For some it is an every-day ritual.

I even have a breed of rooster that LOOKS mean and scary and frankly like a raptor, but, he's the sweetest around.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I have this HUGE Light Brahma roo who could easily stick his spurs right through my leg. Visitors are often skittish around him because he looks pretty intimidating when really, he's a complete doll.

4. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Ooh I see. Well I read a post about someone being flogged by a rooster. Do they do that often? What makes them want to flog or attack?

do you have to be like a pack leader as if you were with a dog?

5. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    [​IMG]
    Not all roosters are mean. I have two (had three but sold a roo and hen combo not long ago). None of them are mean, they are quite nice. Personality of the rooster has a lot to do with it, as well as other variables. If you have small children I would go with all hens.
    BTW, where in AL. are you? I live near the AL line in NE Mississippi.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  6. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    I live in Gadsden, it's right near Cedartown, GA [​IMG] so we're on the opposite sides of the state haha

well that's interesting to know. I'd be afraid of the rooster attacking a hen or one of my other pets.

I dunno, I don't think I'll get a rooster anyway because they will make the eggs fertile, then I'll feel bad if I eat them. (I'm a vegetarian)

7. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    being a vegetarian wouldn't negate eating fertile eggs. Fertile eggs aren't baby chicks, they only have the POTENTIAL to become baby chicks under the right circumstances (incubation).

8. eggdd

eggdd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Quote:a fertile egg is still just an egg. there is no meat. nothing is growing, nothing is alive. certain conditions must be met before a fertile egg will produce a chicken.

supermarkets (e.g. trader joes and whole foods) sell fertile eggs. people eat them daily.

roosters offer positives in a flock: protection, hunting, leadership, etc.

not trying to convince you - - if you don't want one, that's the end of that. just conversing.

9. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I've had chickens for over 12 years and had only 1 mean rooster, a little seabright, and he was harmless. If you don't ever want to hatch out chicks, you'll never need a rooster, so don't worry about it. [​IMG]

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yep, as said by others, fertile eggs mean nothing. You'd have to incubate them for at least 3 days in order to actually worry. [​IMG]

As for roosters, no, you don't need to treat them like dogs. If one is mean, he's mean. If one is nice, he's nice. That's it. The trick is to either go for less likely to be mean breeds or avoid roosters from hatcheries. [​IMG]

Trust me, having a rooster whether you want to hatch your own chicks sometime down the road or not, maybe you just want a flock protector, whatever - They're worth it! I couldn't imagine having chickens without having a rooster. They're full of personality, they're absolutely beautiful, and they're very entertaining. My boys are most often more friendly than my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by