Is it true that sexlinks quit laying at earlier age?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HJECG, Feb 9, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    In your experience, do black and red sexlinks quit laying at an earlier age? I know that they are prolific layers in the first year or two, but I've read a few places that they also tend to quit laying earlier in their life cycles than other breeds. Is this true or a chicken myth? Thanks!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    It is and it isn't. Chickens only lay so many eggs in their lifetime and because they are bred for production they tend to lay most of their lifetimes worth of eggs in their first two years. There have been quite a few people on here that report production breeds laying at 4 and 5 years old. The most common thing that these people have in regards to their production breeds is great flock management, let the hens take a break from laying when they want to, and fermented feed. You can force them to keep laying by adding light in winter and increasing protein in a molt. These are their normal break periods and if you allow them the break instead of forcing them to lay then they will lay longer.

1 person likes this.
  3. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    x2. In my flock, I had a sexlink laying steadily (4-5 eggs a week) into her 3rd year. Unfortunately, she was killed by a dog, so I won't know how long she would have been laying before dropping off.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm always amazed when I see folks here swear a sex link or other high production bird will only lay for 1-2 years. It's been my experience they lay well into their 4th year....sex links and leghorns. I've not kept them longer than that, but they weren't showing signs of stopping. The years after the second do show a slowing of production, but that's to be expected. I also don't use artificial lights and let my girls take a break during the winter.

1 person likes this.
  5. Aacre

Aacre Chillin' With My Peeps

My black sex link is 3 years old and she lays me an egg 6 out of 7 days.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by