Is It true that Turkey Chicks are Hard to Raise?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lisathenorth, Jan 8, 2010.

1. lisathenorth

lisathenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    Hello, I just bought a bunch of turkey eggs, and I heard a nasty rumor that turkeys are really hard to raise. If it is true- why?

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

They're really no harder to raise than chickies. A nice brooder with no air drafts, some good feed, water with some organic cider vinegar, a little yogurt now and again (homemade if ya got it), the right temp for their age and keep that cage clean and it will all come together.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I've been raising turkeys for several years now. The babies are very sensitive for the first month or so for some reason. I have my best luck when I just let one of my hens raise them, although I have also incubated. Don't let the babies get their feet wet for the first few weeks ,it is hard on them for some reason. Good luck with your hatch! What flavor of turk eggs did you get? I have Royal Palms, Blue Slates, & a few mixed scragglers running around.

4. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    They tend to need more warmth than chicks, I raised mine with a few chicks to teach them the ropes, and the chicks always tended to shy away from the heat quicker, I dont use thermometer, just raise the lamp till chicks/poults no longer want heat.

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

They are a little "special". They require more hands on than chicks. You have to make sure they have NO drafts, don't put them out in the coop for 8-12 weeks, make sure you dip their beaks into the water dish a few times a day for several days, make sure they don't drown in the waterer, etc. We have raised LOTS of poults and as long as you are not to quick to put them on dirt, they do pretty well. It is not a necessity, but we add a little vitamin/elevtrolytes to their water for a few weeks just as an extra boost for them. They are more sensitive to their environment than chickens, but turkeys are THE best birds to have around. They are more inquisitive, friendly, and personable than chickens.

6. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    I have been raising them for about 12 years, I never treated them any different than chicks and never had problems other than the bad group that I got from a hatchery. Those arrived with one dead and flattened in the box, the whole box smelled like a dead animal when I picked it up from the PO. Probably salmonella, lost most within a week of arrival. Other than that, I never noticed any difference between raising them and chicks.

7. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    wow, if all this is true i cannot believe that the only 2 i got from a feed store survived and are still alive and perfect. I raised 2 of them outside from week 3. They went out with my Phoenix chicks. They all lived together just fine. I raised them just like my chicks and never even KNEW they may have been harder to raise?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Mine that were raise by hens, were on dirt from day one, but hen raised are always easier.

9. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:Don't feel bad... I didn't know, either, until I joined this group! [​IMG]

10. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I've not found them to be particularly any harder than chickens either really.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by