1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is it true?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by obaan1, Jun 22, 2011.

1. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    The cashier at Costco asked me a chicken question today: "Is it true that one chicken lays fifteen eggs per day?" Her friend told her that she was going to buy one chicken because she was sick of paying for eggs. Hmmmmmmmm.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, a chicken lays one egg per day, but skips days as well. No chicken can lay 15 eggs per day. It's physically impossible.

Were you really asking that or just saying the cashier asked that? What did you tell her?

3. obaan1

obaan1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Great Lakes State
    This was the question that the cashier asked. I told her to tell her friend that she would be disappointed if she is planning on getting fifteen eggs per day from one hen because it is not possible. It made me smile to think about a hen laying an egg every waking hour. Then I started calculating how many eggs I could have with fifty chickens laying fifteen eggs per day-- a whopping 750 from my back yard flock. Enough to feed the neighborhood.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hahahaha, yep, you'd be leaving baskets of eggs on doorsteps anonymously just to get rid of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by