1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

is it true

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by youngchooklover, Feb 12, 2013.

1. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    do you need a silky hen and a silky rooster to get the silk like feathers

IS IT TRUE[​IMG]

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, it's true. If you breed a silkie to a smooth feathered bird, all the offspring would be normal. If you breed those offspring to each other, you would get some silkies, and some normal feathered. Hope this helps!

3. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    [​IMG]

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry, the silkie gene is recessive.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    First generation cross would all be smooth feathered. F2 crosses would result in a percentage of silky feathered birds.

6. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    how aggressive are the silky roosters and are they rare to find i have not seen one in my live

7. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    I have a silkie roo that is an awesome roo. Although he is the runner up roo, and with only 3 laying hens he sees no action at all. Poor fella. I have a big roo, and the little silkie fella is the only rooster acting like a rooster. The big rooster does nothing rooster-y like watching the hens, or sounding the alarm. He is out for treats and won't let any of the other chickens fight for any reason, so he is helpful to me, but in the way of protecting the flock, that falls on the silkie...and he follows the whole flock around watching always, and clucking at them...rounding up any that wander too far and what not. But only the big roo gets to breed. I think that this makes the Silkie rooster a little testier, as he is more rooster like anyway...
    My dog got a wild hair and decided to tear out after the chickens yesterday, and while all the hens and the big roo ran for the coop, the silkie rooster starts making all kinds of noise and runs in the opposite direction of the coop...and his plan worked. He totally distracted the dog. He was willing and ready to "take one for the team". The chickens still haven't figured out that the dog enjoys a game of chase, more than he enjoys eating raw chicken. If they stop running he just walks over and sniffs them and then goes back to whatever he was doing...Either way the silkie distracted him and led him away from the coop, thus ensuring the safety of his hens, that he can't even breed...He has attacked me though. He gets upset if you mess with the hens, but he attacked me for cleaning hay out of the feeder..Not sure why, but the big roo jumped on him for messing with me, because he doesn't allow any fighting at all..as soon as there is a lot of squawking the big roo is there to put an end to it...and I may have squawked while this tiny fuzz chicken was repeatedly launching himself at my hands...Lol. Anyway as soon as I have enough money to place an order he will get his own coop complete with a few silkie and turken hens. Poor little fella. He's just frustrated. I don't fault him for his attack..if he was capable of doing harm it might be another story, but he just isn't...it's like being attacked by a feather duster...shocking, but not terribly injurious.

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    They aren't rare at all. A lot of people keep and breed them. I would say they are a pretty common backyard chicken. My roo was free, as someone in the city got him and wasn't allowed to have roosters.

9. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    cool thank you [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by