Is it vital to be vaccinated?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensarefamily2me, Jun 8, 2011.

1. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    I recently aquired three chicks that a middle school science teacher hatched. I have 17 birds total, and they will be going out soon. I am not sure if they are vaccinated. Is it vital?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    It is up to you if you want to vaccinate them. IMO I would to help prevent disease. But this usually had to be done at time of hatch. so how old are they?

3. FreeChicken!

FreeChicken! Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    None of my chickens are vaccinated and they're healthy except for an occasional injury. So, no, it's not vital. [​IMG]

4. chickensarefamily2me

chickensarefamily2me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2010
    Argyle, Texas
    Two to three weeks. Okay, Thanks for the advice.... I was worried, because all my others came from my usual feed store.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    FreeChicken! :

None of my chickens are vaccinated and they're healthy except for an occasional injury. So, no, it's not vital. [​IMG]

X2. Read here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps030

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Your feed store chickens may or may not be vaccinated. More often than not, going without vaccinations in chickens is just fine. If you were to start a large scale operation where you had poultry moving in and out very often, it would certainly be indicated.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by