Is it warm enough to put my 7 wk old chicks outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by iml8agn, May 7, 2017.

1. iml8agn

iml8agn Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    I live in Maine and it has been unusually cold this spring. Right now I have my coop in my garage because we have been having highs in the 50's and lows around 40. They seem really bored and we put them outside when we have a sunny day over 55 but am concerned it's still to cold outside for them full time. They are fully feathered and no longer sleeping under the heat lamp although it's still in there for them if needed. They are all cold hardy breeds but just seems so cold still. Would love suggestions. Also happy to put a lamp inside the coop

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You may not be ready to move your chicks outside, but they're more than ready.

Those temps you cite are not "cold". Here's all you need to do. Turn off the heat lamp entirely. Let your chicks spend their days outside in the run for two or three days, all day, no heat. When they come back indoors to sleep, no heat lamp.

Then after that, they will be adjusted to cooler temps and you may then move them into their coop to sleep. If, by some cruel turn of Mother Nature, spring being unpredictable, if it should dive down to 32F at night, give them their heat lamp until the temp comes back up into the 40s.

3. iml8agn

iml8agn Just Hatched

Mar 30, 2017
    Lol! You are right, my husband agrees with you. I do like your plan for phasing them too the outside, keeps me from feeling like I'm just tossing them out in the cold. [​IMG].

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by