Is it wet fowl pox, trichomoniasis, LT???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sassybirds, Dec 14, 2013.

1. sassybirds

sassybirds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgia
    Hey guys! I really need help differentiating between wet fowl pox, trich, and LT. I have recently had a couple cases of dry fowl pox in my flock, nothing major. Now I have a seriously sick hen...she has been noticeably ill since this past Monday, she has yellow lesions on the inside of her mouth, alongside her tongue and down into her esophagus (as far as I could tell with a flashlight). I removed the cheesy plaques (they bled) and they came back in two days. There is a smell. Her nostrils keep clogging, so she has to extend her throat and open her mouth to breathe, she has a bubbly eye, and excess mucus in her mouth. She has not eaten or drank much in the past day, if at all. I have been giving her 1/2cc of tylan 50 for the past 4 days. This evening I gave her some vitamin/electrolyte water via syringe. I would rather treat than cull. Can anyone tell me definitive symptoms to look for??? None of the other chickens that she had been in are sick, though the rooster looks like he may had a couple dry fowl pox lesions on his comb. He is acting normal. Everything I have read has only confused me! Anyone out there with any experience with these diseases? Thanks!!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Casportpony has experience with wet pox. I would say if you have any dry fowl pox, I would bet they have wet pox. Trichmoniasis or canker lesions can be similar looking, but tend to have some gray or black inside the beak and throat. Both canker and wet pox smell bad. Lt or laryngotracheitis is distinguishable because there is a lot of bloody mucus from the mouth and nostrils. If your chicken is large fowl, I would increase the Tylan to 1 cc, and you can give half in the breast and half in the back of the neck under the skin.

3. sassybirds

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks so much @Eggcessive!! I thought it was fowl pox too at first since I had other cases, but then got to thinking too hard on it I guess lol. Her bottom feathers are also yucky , but I guess that's from being ill? I'll def up the dosage of Tylan. So the prognosis is poor with wet fowl pox? All I can do is medicate, remove the plaque , and try to keep her fed and watered ? I don't have anything to tube her with , nor any experience but I'm willing to try ... :/

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Tylan would be ineffective since fowl pox is a virus and canker is a protozoa. Tylan is geared more toward bacterial respiratory diseases.

5. sassybirds

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgia
    I know that I cannot treat the virus, just the secondary infections that might ensue. Correct? I don't want to make her worse... I have read very conflicting info on fowl pox whether or not it's the same strain or if the wet pox is a result of the virus being inhaled and whether or not it makes the birds permanent carriers?

6. chickenlover28

chickenlover28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Dyer, Indiana
    I have been having same problems with my birds. Most have dry pox, a few have other symptoms. Cant crow, scrrtchy throat.... cold symptoms. Been giving vet rx and tetracycline in the water. Seems to be helping. I will say its been running through my flocks for a few months.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are different strains of fowl pox. Once your birds get over the virus, they are immune to that particular strain. No matter what strain it is, treatment is the same. Fowl pox does NOT cause birds to be carriers. Mosquitos are the main carriers of the disease. Fowl pox cannot be transmitted to humans. Eggs are safe to eat. Here's a link with tons of pics when Casportpony went through her episode with wet and dry fowl pox and what she did to help her birds recover:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...x-xxx-rated-graphic-pictures-of-pus-and-scabs

8. sassybirds

Nov 3, 2013
    Georgia

Thank you so much dawg53. You have been very helpful! I'll be sure and check the thread out

9. chickenlover28

chickenlover28 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2013
    Dyer, Indiana
    Oddly the ones that act like they have a cold. Dont have puss and dont have many black spot either. Im not sure if they just have a mild case....or what

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by