Is it worth becoming a vet tech or a nurse?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by reveriereptile, Jan 25, 2011.

1. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I've been sitting around trying to figure out job ideas. For me to work at a local store like Walmart with me living out in a village I wouldn't make much after the taxes and gas money come out. My husband has been trying to get me to become a nurse since his sister does it and she makes around $50,000 after taxes a year and only works 3 days a week doing 12 hour shifts. I don't really want to become a nurse cause I'm not really much of a people person since I'm so shy and nervous around people. I did happen to see that the college offers a 2 year Vet Tech course and we have a lot of vet offices around here. My husband doesn't think they would probably hire me after I took the 2 year course and that I'd have a better chance getting a job as a nurse. I'm stuck at not knowing what to take. I've never went to college and there are some classes I will have to take before I can try to get into the nursing course and I'm not sure what my SAT scores are but I'm going to get that information from my HS. I know the Vet Tech won't make as much money but I'd rather work with the animals. My husband is worrying if I take the Vet Tech course that I might not get hired after putting the time and money into going. I was wanting to know what other people thought. I know there are some Vet Techs on here and probably nurses as well. Which would be better for me to take? Moving to a bigger area isn't an option due to my husband having his job all set up for this area since he is an attorney and now a judge also.

2. greeneggsandham

greeneggsandham Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Putnam,CT
    X-ray tech is a good one to go into. Both nurse and vet tech would be good also.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

In addition to talking to the fine folks here on BYC, could you talk to a couple of the local vet offices, and see what credentials they look for in a tech? It doesn't make sense, to me, to go to nursing school just because you might make more money at a job you don't like. Unless the money is a huge dealbreaker (and I know local attorneys/judges don't always clear that much, but, still . . .) I'd go for the job you'd enjoy.

Just my $0.02 worth.

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I'm a licensed Vet Tech and have never been without a job. I've worked in the same clinic for the last 10 years and get at least one job offer during an C.E. Seminar. You can go far in any field of your choice if you go the extra mile and maintain a good work ethic. An education is never a waste of money.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    It will be YOUR job...not his.
    Thats the first thing you need to realize..

No.. if you are not a people person and not interested in all that nursing involves: Puke/poop/pee/blood/meds and med errors and charting/TONS of paperwork every shift, PLUS taking care of the patients / dealing with CRAZY people sometimes/ dealing with death a lot, and really sick people in a lot of pain/ being TOTALLY responsible for a whole floor sometimes... its a BIG responsibility, and if somethings happens on that floor, your job is over with. Period. Nursing is a big liability today... people are sue happy.
    I was a CNA for years and years... and you could never pay me enough to be a nurse today. I saw it all first hand...
    I would either choose the vet course or a different field in health care.... x-ray tech/ultra sound tech/ OR tech/lab tech.. whatever.... theres tons to choose from.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  6. cedar post

cedar post Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    Seymour,WI.
    You could do vet assistant and work up to vet tech. My daughter is doing this and got a job sooner.

7. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Nursing has provided me with more opportunities than anyone should have in one lifetime! But ultimately, it's what you enjoy doing. I'm winding down my career and will retire in 2 years, but still don't mind getting up and going to work everyday.

8. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    I might call around to the vet offices and see what they say. One reason my husband was wanting me to become a nurse also was he was willing to pay for me to take the nursing course. He doesn't make much money at his job due to the area but he wanted to be around his family since everyone was getting older. One reason I was wanting a job and thinking of going to college to help get a higher paying job is that we would like to build a house some day on his parent's farm land and he would like kids. I do enjoy talking about animals and if someone talking to me brings up animals I usually open up more. To become a vet assistant do you need to be in college working towards a vet tech or can you start without any college?

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A key phrase in your last post. Everyone is getting older- that's a fact. Nurses will be in demand even more in the future as our population ages. The "boomers" and older (like me:old) will be needing care.

10. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I spent 3 years in college, got my AA Degree in Vet Tech, was told I would start out making $10+ an hour and move up from there (this was in 1992), I never did make it up to $10 an hour!! I started at $6 an hour and ended up at $8.50. And often worked 12-14 hour days. I got burned out after 10 years and no respect. You'd think being a Registered Vet Tech would command a little respect- NOT! There is no money in Vet Tech, you do it because you love animals. If you're OK with living a low income lifestyle, go for it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by