Is it worth buying a hog or calf to raise for meat???????????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tobin123, Sep 11, 2010.

1. tobin123

tobin123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    fountaintown,indiana
    We have been thinking about buying 2 piglets and a calf to raise for meat.But we need to know if it is worth it after all the costs.We know that is the best for our family especially the fact of knowing where our meat was raised at and what it ate.Any body that has figured this out,please help with some advice.

2. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Just like chickens it is going to cost way more to raise and have processed than store bought, but if you want to know what went into them than the cost is irrelevant.

I only like prime cuts in beef, ground sirloin not chuck or beef so it would make no sense for me to raise a calf to process.

3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    If you only have 2 acres, you probably don't have enough land for a calf. The pigs...maybe, but unless you have a place fairly distant from your house, you are going to smell them. Another option would be to find someone that raises livestock without adding the antibiotics, growth hormones, etc. to their feed and buy from them. It probably is about the same price, maybe even cheaper (no pens to build, feed to buy, time to tend to them, etc). There are people in many areas of the country that are turning away from the big commercial growers ways and raising animals without all the 'additives' in their feed in a more natural way (grass fed beef, etc). See if you can find someone in your area and check out their prices. Are there any Amish/Mennonite communities in your state? That would be a good source to check. I think you can buy whole or half at a time. Ask around at your local farmer's market if anyone raises meat to sell. Good luck!

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    It can be done quite economically if you have good pasture. Feed costs is what raises your costs & therefore your goal will be to keep them as low as possible. Feed your pigs scraps & maybe get out of date vegetables etc free or low cost from your grocery store.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    we had a friend (hubbys co-worker) who raise pigs last year. I did not want to raise a pig myself, had bad experience with fresh bacon when I was a kid, being rancid and all, but we bought half a hog, it was awesome! We are still eating it. This year, I am purchasing half a lamb, as I love lamb and the stores do not carry it. I cannnot wait to try the real stuff.

6. LilChickCoop

LilChickCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Central Florida
    One economical thing to do if you don't want or can't reaise the hog/cow yourself: buy one off a 4H student. They are extremely economical.

7. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:Just make sure not to undercut the 4H kid... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by