Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by little_grey_bantam, Jul 5, 2010.

1. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    So I came across a gal who sells Silver Sussexes...
    Now, while I don't particularly want to shed $$$HUNDREDS$$$ of dollars worth of money for a darn bird, I think, hey, people spend $1000 on parrots and they only lay ONE egg a year. At least a chicken lays an egg a day, or most days or at least half the year, everyday.

Now... you guys think I could get my money back selling chicks? I JUST want to make the money back for the birds; it'd just be nice to have these guys around - it'd REALLY help pay for the costs of the other birds that I adore.

Ya think anyone would REALLY pay $$$ for silver sussex chicks?? I already have a flock of lights, speckled and some splits and possible pure coronations coming in. So why not? I'm sure I can play with genetics and breed out the Silver for better genetic diversity.

Anyone interested?
    I'm going to the area anyways, and it costs $600 to get down there to visit, why not just shed another $600-$1000 for birds? LOL

2. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    How many birds do you get for $1000 ?

3. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    2, usually you get a male and female pair, but I'm working with somenoe else to get some more imported, so I may just end up getting 2 pullets instead of a roos and a pullet [​IMG]

Sorry if this is dead

4. Oven Ready

Oven Ready Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Thailand
    Wow - $500 dollars each, is this an uncommon breed in the USA?

Here's a link to some for sale in the UK, priced at about $45. Silver Sussex

Obviously I have no idea of the variation in price between show quality and plain chickens, but they look like lovely little birds.

I'd be so worried that they got ill and didn't produce any chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by