is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmgirlforever18, Jul 17, 2011.

1. farmgirlforever18

farmgirlforever18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    ok im really wanting lavender orps and no one around me sells them so im going to have to get shipped eggs do you think its worth it even if i only get two to hatch or should i not even bother with shipped eggs again ( first time they all were quitters) [​IMG]

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Is way to hot for shipping eggs

I really not recomend shipping eggs at this time unless is colder were you are

I got some peafowl eggs and they look bad i dont think they will develop

Dont waste your money

wait until weather cools down

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Agreed. It's way too hot over your way to have eggs shipped, IMO. Best to wait till fall and cooler weather. Your odds will be much better.

4. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    i was going to wait tell the end of august when the weather will start cooling down

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Perhaps,next time you incubate, you can practice on less expensive eggs. It really takes a few times to get incubating and all its variables conquered!

Then go for the special eggs!! Eggs may be the only way to get the birds you want--many breeders start this way.

6. MommaB

MommaB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Man....I hope it is cooled off by the end of August! This heat is insane. We have had 3 digit temps for what seems like months. These last several days it is even hot at night. At least last week about 7pm it was starting to cool down. My thermometer the last several days has still read in the 100's that late. My poor dog is going to bed panting!

7. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    Quote:yeah i know what you mean i have had one successful hatch out of three and two more due this week and next so i will se how they go.

8. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I agree with others, I'd wait till cooler weather, then use a broody if you have one. Good luck!

9. farmgirlforever18

Mar 5, 2010
    Dublin TEXAS
    But is it still worth it to ship eggs if I only get one or two out of the deal even if I have a broody hen or not

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Only you can answer that.. are the chicks worth it to you?.. is it worth it to you if NONE hatch?.. are you willing and ready to accept the risk?

some people can justify it to themselves to invest the time and money into a hatch that may not produce any chicks or only a few.. others can not justify the cost and the time spent.. so that's something you have to ask yourself... unfortunately, we can not make that decision for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by