Is it wrong . . . EDIT: Check out page 3 for discovery!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ICallMyselfCherie', Dec 5, 2011.

1. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, everybody. I need to ask a very serious question.

I have just started a Serama breeding business and have just barely gotten my breeding stock up enough and raised enough birds where I can start selling them. Now, just as I am about to begin selling, one of my hens -- not a serama, but another type of hen who has been in the vicinity of the seramas during illness -- has developed paralysis. After all of my research, I must consider the strong possibility that she has Marek's. From what I hear it can take months for the disease to show up in other birds. Here I am with a fledgling business that NEEDS to start earning back money, but I am devastated to think it would be unethical to sell these birds in light of the fact that they may have been exposed to this horrific disease.

I bought my breeder stock with savings bonds I've had since I was a child. I've sunk about three thousand dollars into getting the best parent stock possible, cages, etc. It is nearly all the money I have to my name. This is my full-time job. If I cannot sell the offspring, it will ruin me.

Please give me your opinions on this matter. I could really use some help.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    ICallMyselfCherie' :

Hi, everybody. I need to ask a very serious question.

I have just started a Serama breeding business and have just barely gotten my breeding stock up enough and raised enough birds where I can start selling them. Now, just as I am about to begin selling, one of my hens -- not a serama, but another type of hen who has been in the vicinity of the seramas during illness -- has developed paralysis. After all of my research, I must consider the strong possibility that she has Marek's. From what I hear it can take months for the disease to show up in other birds. Here I am with a fledgling business that NEEDS to start earning back money, but I am devastated to think it would be unethical to sell these birds in light of the fact that they may have been exposed to this horrific disease.

I bought my breeder stock with savings bonds I've had since I was a child. I've sunk about three thousand dollars into getting the best parent stock possible, cages, etc. It is nearly all the money I have to my name. This is my full-time job. If I cannot sell the offspring, it will ruin me.

Please give me your opinions on this matter. I could really use some help.

Thank you.

Can't you vaccinate the babies??​

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Spend a little more and have them tested before you panic.

If they are sick, or even *might be*?

Yes, it would be wrong to sell them. Sorry.

4. ICallMyselfCherie'

You can buy Marek's vaccines for home use? I'm sorry to be so ignorant, I thought that was just for large-scale operations.

I thought there was no test for Mareks?

I will not sell the birds if it is wrong. I will take the financial hit.

5. Duramaxgirl

Duramaxgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Idaho
    Quote:X2 good advice.
    Selling a bird that might be sick is just not worth the guilt one would feel.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    THIS should be a easy answer, how would you feel if someone took your money for bird that maybe sick.

T

7. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. ICallMyselfCherie'

Deerman, I am asking the question because I need help dealing with the problem, not because I'm looking to "take someone's money for a sick bird". If I needed help understanding how I would feel as a buyer I wouldn't be on here asking for help, I would just sell the birds.

Mississippifarmboy's and Stephanie739's answers were helpful because they give me ideas of how to deal with the situation. Duramax, thank you for your input, it helps to have more opinions. If people had answered that most birds carry Marek's anyway, as I have heard before, and so it was kind of inevitable as a breeder to sell exposed birds, that would be a different story. I am NOT planning to sell sick birds.

9. ICallMyselfCherie'

Thank you, Stephanie! So, if I use the vaccine on every chick born here on out, you believe it would be okay to sell those chicks?

10. Stephanie739

Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by