Is it wrong...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NC Chicken Gal, Oct 15, 2009.

1. NC Chicken Gal

NC Chicken Gal Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    to take newly laid egg from a hen who is still sitting on it or should I wait for her to get up?

2. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

We have girls that will sit there for hours if you let them. When we pull eggs we just lift them up and take what ever is there. If they aren't done then they will sit back down. If they are done then they will usually go running out squawking.

3. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I don't think so, you don't wanna chance any little embryos- believe me, I got a batch from this lady and some of them had little embryos and blood and a couple actually had eyeballs. I just thought I would die. Don't chance it.

4. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I usually pick up the hen and bring her to a food dish and then take the egg.

5. NC Chicken Gal

May 26, 2009
    lol...I just feel bad, if I did all that work and someone took MY egg while it was still warm, I would be ticked [​IMG]

6. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG] yeah but they don't mind...most of the time I only feel bad when they go back into the nest [​IMG]

7. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Quote:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You poor thing that you had to see that!!

8. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Quote:I work all day and dont get home until after 6 PM. I get the egg(s) when I get home and never had anything gross (like eyeballs) in my eggs.

9. NC Chicken Gal

May 26, 2009
    Quote:SOOO, this brings up the question, just how long until the eggs start developing? I plan on collecting every day (my girls just started laying), but I am curious

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:SOOO, this brings up the question, just how long until the eggs start developing? I plan on collecting every day (my girls just started laying), but I am curious

Collect at least once a day and you'll be fine.

Unless a hen is broody she couldn't care less about her eggs. I've gathered eggs from under hens and then walked out in the chicken yard. All the chickens come running when they see me with something in my hands. Oh! Did you bring us something to eat? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by