Is Layena okay for really old hens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country4ever, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    My hens are 10 and 1/2 years old. One is lame. I started wondering if its gout.......which made me think that maybe I shouldn't be feeding them the same feed they ate when they were laying.
    Should I change to something lower in protein?
    Thanks.

2. kelck22

kelck22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2013
    mukilteo, wa
    I would switch to a HIGHER protein food. Feather Fixer from nutrena would be good.

If you do switch do it gradually as they are pretty old to do full switch all at once.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    If they aren't laying then they don't need the calcium that is in layer. The extra calcium can lead to things like kidney stones. They really don't need a higher protein as well since they aren't laying. What the percent protein they need who knows I don't think anyone has studied older chickens needs. If you are switching going to a grower and cutting it down with other lower protein foods is what I would do.

1 person likes this.
  4. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks!

I feel bad I didn't think of this earlier.
    I'm going to Tractor Supply tomorrow. I'll look at the calcium and protein levels on all the brands they carry and pick the one with lower calcium. I also guess there's no reason to even offer the old hens any oyster shell? Would they even take it if they didn't need it?

I read in one article, that if their kidneys are affected, they can have lameness problems, since the nerve to the leg runs through the kidney. That sounded a bit strange to me.........
    I have a hen that has become lame and I'm trying to figure out what her problem is. I guess at 10 and 1/2, it could be arthritis......
    Thanks again.

5. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    I bought some grower/finisher yesterday. Wish it came in smaller quantities than 50#. It had a little less protein and less calcium. Unfortunately, it only came in crumbles. We'll see how they do with it. Maybe the crumbles are good for old hens.......since most of their teeth are gone. [​IMG]

I've had them for over 10 years now and I'm still learning things!

6. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Ten years old is a great age for a chicken! I think the grower/finisher with lower protein and calcium is a good idea, no need to stress their systems with too much of either. Some of my favorite hens are my older ones, I try not to name the chickens, but some of them who have been here a long time wind up getting named anyway.

Give your old girls a pat for me. [​IMG]

7. Country4ever

Oct 26, 2007
    Thanks Pathfinders! :)

8. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    [​IMG]

Have fun. Always remember to have fun with your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by