1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is Lexy a Lex instead? Please help! *PICS*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CathyB, Jun 21, 2008.

1. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Well, one of my little 6 week old EE'ers is so adorable but is acting kind of rooish. I have what are "supposed" to be all pullets but we all know how that goes. Anyway, Lexy never sits still so it was hard getting photos so here is the best I could do:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am hoping she just "acts" manly !

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What memories that brings back! Two years ago, I was thinking my own Lexie was a Lex and I was calling her that for a month. Mine was a Barred Rock, though. Hard to say on yours right now. That one could go either way. Usually, the combs on the cockerels are very wide with three distinct Pea ridges, but not always. If its pink at that age, you have a Lex.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Tricky.... I'm GUESSING girl [​IMG] My 4-5 week old roos have much larger-wider combs.

Here's two..........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  4. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Oh boy, most of my chicks combs are starting to look redish. I mean like all 10 of them! That would not be good!!! Lexy does not really look that red in the comb yet. I think her sister looks more red in her comb than Lexy does! The comb is not wide though...........Guess I have more of a waiting and guessing game ahead of me! Thanks SpeckledHen for your opinion!! Anyone else???

5. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Her comb looks girlie to me. How is she compared to the others much larger?

6. speckledhen

Her comb does have a girly shape, however I just had the experience, for the second time, with an Ameraucana cockerel who had a girly comb shape. It suddenly widened and reddened and I then realized how thick his legs were, too.

7. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Looks like a female right now.

8. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I guess we shall see! Her comb does not look as big as Guitartists picture. Much thinner. To answer mmajw , she is the smallest of my 3 EE'er that I have!

9. speckledhen

Cathy, at this point, it does look very girly. Hope she stays that way!

10. CathyB

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    Thanks Speckledhen, I hope so to! I have nothing against a rooster and I think I secrertly want one [​IMG] , but my DH has freinds with roosters where you have to arm yourself when you go outside! I said to him that maybe it would be a nice rooster. I have a gut feeling the neighbors would complain more loudly than a roosters crow so I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by