Is lighting in the PM really THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MEMama3, Aug 22, 2013.

1. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    I know supplemental lighting should be added in the morning so no one is caught off the roost, but is it really that bad to add it in the evening? I don't leave food in the coop and the birds never hang out in there. If I add the light in the morning, they'd be stuck in there for an hour or two until we get up (more of an issue in late winter when it would be going on at 4:15). In the evening would allow them to be in or out. It also may bear mentioning that I have solar lights in the run and a porch light nearby, so they wouldn't be plunged into total darkness.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would probably work out to do it in the evening if they have exterior light from the proch or the run. With that setup, I am wondering if supplemental light in the coop will make any difference, though. They only need a fairly dim supplemental light to increase egg laying.

3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I could have swore I just read about this and read that you're supposed to give them extra light in the evening. I'm on my cell phone so after I get my computer from my daughter I will research that :)

edit: never mind ;) I remembered wrong

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  4. MEMama3

MEMama3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Vacation Land; Maine
    They roost regardless of the surrounding light, so I'm not sure it's quite enough to keep them going. Since dipping below 14 hours there has been slight reduction in eggs. I'm not sure that is the reason (I suspect a light molt from a few), but I'd like to try upping the light.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's about that time of year for production to slow down. It won't stay at a constant level all year even with a 14 hour day. There will be natural increases and decreases -- not including things like molts and broodiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by