Is LIME okay for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Carole AM, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I just cleaned out an area where I had hens to keep pure. I moved them out and want to put my hyperactive month old chicks in. I raked out the muck (its a dirt floor in a stall), added more sand, and sprinkled LIME on top.

Will it be okay for my chicks? They need a bigger place to play.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Is it Ag lime or Hydrated Lime? Hydrated will kill them...

here is the information from the Dept. of Agriculture

There are two different kinds of lime.

Hydrated lime, slake lime, or "burn lime"- This is pure white. Hydrated lime is very caustic, so the bag will have a warning on it. This is the kind of lime you use for white wash . This lime will burn you and your livestock. Do not use it on the floor. Do not breath it.

Agricultural lime, "ag lime", "garden lime", "barn lime" or dolomite- This lime is gray and can be used to spread on the floor of your barn. This is safe for you and your livestock. It will not burn.

In the past we spread Ag. lime on our barn floor because it provides an antibacterial quality, dries out and "sweetens" the floor , and also it makes it easier to clean, for some people.

If you just ask for lime at your feed store, they will probably give you hydrated lime. If you say it's for the barn floor they will still probably give you hydrated. Please be safe, get the "Ag" lime .

Best to put down shavings or straw IMHO.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I use the ag lime in my pens and coops. It helps with the odor some. I also throw a few shovels in the pig pen every few days. It really does help. Plus, where the pig is now, will be the garden next year! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by