Is Lola a Lyle? And other sex questions.

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
My little Showgirls may be Showboys! I have two whites and a blue splash. They are all about 2 1/2 months old.

This is Star. I'm thinking she is my only girl. Smaller beak than the rest and her comb isn't as pronounced. HOWEVER, she seems to have streamers in her knot. But her knot is growing by leaps and bounds, so I'm hoping, it's not streamers, just growth! What do you think?

ChickensJan099468LRCW.jpg

ChickensJan099479LRCW.jpg

This is Lola. Thusly named because well, she is supposed to be a girl! However, her comb has been getting some color in it. And I'm wondering if it's time for a new name.
ChickensJan099500croppedLRCW.jpg

ChickensJan099491croppedLRCW.jpg

ChickensJan099513LRCW.jpg

This is Helmet. We have always thought him to be a boy. I haven't seen any color to his comb looking at him, but the close up shot is showing a bit of color.
ChickensJan099505LRCW.jpg

What do you think?

Yep, looks like a pullet and two cockerels, and nice ones at that. Star is a blue, a splash would have an almost white base with "splashes" of blue.

What kind of camera do you use, those pics are beautiful!

Last edited:
The comb and wattles of the males are more pronounced and have more color than if they were females (although nowhere near what they'd be on for example a BR or a RIR).

Thanks.

Supposedly people are trying to breed a new kind of splash that is mostly greys and blacks. When I got her they lady said she was breeding for blue splashes. I'm not too sure on all that implies, but that's what I was told.

They look like mini ostriches too me. Very sweet. Except Star, she's a bit of a diva and keeps to herself. If I sit down though, Helmet's going to jump on me.

Back
Top Bottom