is mamma hungry?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by huevosfritos, Sep 26, 2008.

1. huevosfritos

huevosfritos Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    One of my RIR has been sitting for the last 2 days (day and night). She chose an old box in the garage that is pretty far away from the coop/food/water.
    Should I provide her a closer source of food and water?
    I'm soooo excited...I'm going to have baby chix!!!!!!!

2. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    It wouldn't hurt to provide food and water a little closer. I had to take food to my Muscovy hen and kick her off the nest and shut her out of the run until she took a drink a few times because she was so stubborn, and refused to get off the nest (until a few days before the chicken eggs beneath her were ready to hatch, then she got off and refused to return, grrr.) A lot of people put food and water in with their broodies.

3. christmaschicken

christmaschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    Christmas, Florida
    [​IMG]

If it were me YES I would put another water and food source near her you might upset her very much if you were to move her. I am surprised she choose to be away from everyone one else. That is great! She deserves some nice warm oatmeal!.....

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  4. huevosfritos

huevosfritos Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    thank y'all!! Now she has food and water all for herself but hasn't touch it yet :|

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She'll probably go out to eat just once a day and leave a nasty broody poo to stink up th garage with. Have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by