is medicated a must?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tball, Jun 30, 2011.

1. tball

tball Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    hemphill,tx
    i had been buying Lone Star Medicated chick starter, sent my hubby to town(45min away) he went to ts instead of feed store and brought back Dumor starter/grower. I dont see were it says medicated any where. my chickens are 3-9week olds and 13-4 week olds am i ok?

2. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    I received 15 chicks from Meyers this spring and have not fed any medicated at all. One died a few days after arriving, but that would have happened with or without medicated. All 14 are now 8-weeks old and healthy. I bought my last bag of feed from a feed store. It was Purina, which I have never bought before and when I got home I went to the Purina site to get info on it. I noticed the yellow bags were non-med and the red ones were med. Not realizing this at the time I just grabbed a bag from the nearest Purina pile and it was red. No where on the bag did it say it was medicated. Nothing in the ingredients mentioned meds. I called the feed store and they said they were equally puzzled when their feed order arrived. They had ordered non-med feed and it came in the red bags! The owner also checked the ingredients and there was nothing to indicate meds in it and none of the bags had the medicated sign going across them. Puzzling! [​IMG] If it would had indicated medicated on the bag or in the ingredients, I would have taken it back. Chickens need to build immunities and the meds make it harder for them to do it.

3. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    I have never used any medicated feed at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by