Is Mildred a rooster or a hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hannieg27, Oct 14, 2012.

1. hannieg27

hannieg27 New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    Hi, I bought my first 4 chickens at POL around 2 months ago and I am becoming increasingly concerned Mildred is a male, not a female as expected!

I bought 4 hens and only one is laying. These are pictures of Mildred but if my suspicions are right then my other light sussex, Chickpea, may also be a male as they look quite similar!

If anyone could help me determine whether she is a hen I would be very grateful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the thier age the other one is a hen, and I would say so is mildred

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    X2

4. hannieg27

hannieg27 New Egg

Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks for your replies! I am relieved now as I am not allowed to keep roosters in my garden!
    Someone had seen Mildred mounting another hen, which combined with the lack of eggs and the shine on the feathers was making me paranoid!

5. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    sorry but thats a cockerel you can clearly see the saddles in this pic
    [​IMG]

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wanted to say Mildred was a hen, but I am 100% sure it is a rooster. It is a tricky one, but I see both saddle and hackle feathers coming in. Compared to the one in the background, you can see the difference. That one has rounded saddle feathers. Also, Mildred's comb and waddles are much larger and the face has that cockerel look to it. The tail feathers first looked hen-ish, but when I took a second look, I saw some sickle feathers coming in. Generally, mounting is a predominantly male trait, so if someone saw him doing this, I would say that confirms male.

I find these types of birds to be tricky to sex because they are slower to mature and really have the same coloring as the females. I had a few columbian wyandottes that threw me for a loop when I bought them as well.

7. Roo...

8. KnobbyOaks

KnobbyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Central Texas
    With the tally coming in from the previous posts, can you say "Milton" instead of "Mildred"? Just kidding, I'm not voting because I don't have enough knowledge. *runs to look up rooster saddle."

9. douglas08

douglas08 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2012
    Tennessee

I completely agree. Sorry

10. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Mildred is indeed Milton. You can see the long, thin, pointy saddle feathers clearly in your pics. Sorry. If that is your other light Sussex in the back on the third pic, she's a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by