Is milk/milk products okay for chickens? (ex; yogurt)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by flockoffour, Dec 17, 2012.

1. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    I have heard mixed reviews on giving your chickens dairy products, such as yogurt, which I have been especially questioning. I ended up accidentally buying a plain container of greek yogurt, so I tried giving some to my chickens on numerous occasions. I later read that yogurt can give chickens diarrhea/ other problems, though my chickens seemed to be fine. ( I tried to avoid giving them too much, though) Does anybody have any information/conformation about giving your chickens yogurt or if the information I found is correct? Thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Yogurt is totally fine to give chickens!!!! you just don't want to give it to them all the time.

4. clio

clio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Sonoma County, CA
    My chicks, pullets and hens have had yogurt and buttermilk mixed in with their shredded zucchinis or veggies, rice and oatmeal w/ flax meal for breakfast almost daily.
    I see some loose poops, but even when I skip a day or two of their breakfast , there is always a few soft poops around.
    Their main feed is organic Scratch and Peck Grower and organic Cascade Feed, no corn/no soy

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Yep, yoghurt is fine. But I wouldn't make it a staple food or anything. Sometimes chickens will enjoy drinking milk from a bowl like they do water!

6. flockoffour

flockoffour Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    West Coast
    thanks for the info everyone

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Every 8th poo or so is a "caecal poo" which is normal- it is a liquid poo.
    http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
    graphic photos of poo if interested

Of course if their poos are watery then that is diarrhea and not normal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by