Is Minnie Baby (and her sisters), a "Minnie" or a "Mickey"?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by anwhite, Feb 10, 2015.

1. anwhite

anwhite Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2015
    The Valley, AZ
    Hi Everyone! I am brand new to BYC, and a brand new chicken mama. I've wanted chickens for a long time, and in January, we just went for it. We have had the chickens for a month, and are really attached to them. I'm getting nervous, though, that some of these hens many turn out to be roosters, and have to be sent away. So I'm turning to you guys for help! I've been stalking the boards for over a month, and know how awesome the community is on BYC! Thank you so much for any help you can offer!

I am most worried about Minnie Baby, as she belongs to my 3 year old. This is actually Minnie Baby 2.0 as the first Minnie Baby died the second day we had her.

If you need more/better pictures, I am happy to try again. They sure are hard to get decent pictures of!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Your chicks are all so adorable! The only ones that look like cockerels to me are: Jane, Phoebe, and Brooke. Minnie baby and the rest look like pullets to me. Glad to have you join BYC!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Jane, Minnie Baby, Phoebe and Brooke look like cockerels to me. That dark red color on Minnie Baby's wings is a strong male indicator, which you'll also notice on Brooke. Maybe Betsy too, but I'm not so sure about that one.

4. anwhite

Feb 9, 2015
    The Valley, AZ
    Oh No! I was afraid of that! Here I was worried about 1, and it seems I have potentially half roosters! They were supposed to be sexed before I got them, and the guy I bought them really seemed like he knew what he was doing. I guess that's Craigslist for you! I see the red coloring on Minnie and Brooke that you are talking about. (I think it is the lighting in the picture on Betsy - when I went and looked at her just now, I don't see any red, and she is super docile and on the low end of the pecking order.) Other than size, what is it that makes you think Phoebe and Jane are male? I'm trying to learn so I don't make the same mistake twice. Nobody has started crowing, and nobody "dances" around the others trying to get their attention. I'm hoping they will start laying in the next month so I can know for sure :)

Thank you so much for the replies!!!

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Jane, Brooke, and Phoebe are definitely cockerels. Minnie Baby is likely a cockerel, and I think that Betsy may be one too.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree. Sorry. :eek:(

7. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Janes comb is large and red, and so is Phoebes'. You can see the difference in coloring when compared to the other red birds for Phoebe as well. Production and RIRs don't show the darker red patches on their wings as well as buff colored birds because they're already red. But, if you look at Phoebes pic, you'll still notice those darker patches, which sometimes have a greenish sheen on red birds.

8. anwhite

Feb 9, 2015
    The Valley, AZ
    Thanks everyone - I am super disappointed, and don't know how to tell the kids when they get home from school. I don't know what to do...should I send those 5 (Jane, Phoebe, Brooke, Minnie Baby, and Betsy) away sooner rather than later, or wait a little bit? I for sure can't keep them. The guy I got them from said to bring any roosters back, and he would exchange them. But then that is a big hassle with quarantine and flock integration...

Any insights? Thanks!

9. anwhite

Feb 9, 2015
    The Valley, AZ
    Okay - now that I know what I'm looking for, I see the dark iridescent green for sure on Phoebe's tail and wings, and also in Jane's tail. Their father had a beautiful green tail. Last night, reading the EE thread, I began to suspect Brooke, and Brooke and Minnie Baby like to raise their hackles at each other ALL the Time! I see on the internet that that is a common rooster behavior, and combined with Minnie's coloring, they are both leaving, too. Here's two more pictures of Betsy for your opinions before I make a final decision on rehoming her: (shes the white one in the forground)
    THANK YOU!!!! You guys are the best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I would not write Betsy off just yet as a rooster. My Delaware Charger is schmutzy on the back like that too. I think Betsy is a pullet. Not a great pic of her but you can see the coloring in her back. As she has gotten older and molted a couple times the coloring on the back has become more pronounced.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by