is mixing bantams and standards safe!?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Howlet, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Howlet

Howlet Chirping

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Ok so heres the coop :p ( pun intended lol ) I have an assortment of bantams in my flock and I am positive im getting a silkie bantam/ I was wondering what would be the safest way to introduce a pullet to a flock of adaults. and my second question is, since I AM ordering more then 1 kind of chicken would it be wise to get say a cochin with EE bantams cochin bantam and a few other bantams?? I don't want it to beat my babies to death once she grows Dx

2. CollegeChicken

CollegeChicken Chirping

Jun 3, 2014
    I have no idea what you are actually asking or what your current situation is ...youre getting a silkie bantam?...you already have bantams..you dont say how many or coop size , youre introducing a pullet?? is that the cochin??? what are the ages of these birds...what is the actual question???? can you keep bantams and standards together: YES
    Ideally they should be raised together as chicks.
    If not then the new birds will need to live in an introduction cage within the existing coop for a week before you can start letting them integrate. After a week in the introduction cage, free range them daily as a group (new birds and existing birds) , it helps them to get acquainted without feeling so confined with eachother. And are you saying that when the standard cochin reaches full size that it will attack your bantams? The answer to that is no. They will establish a pecking order and adhere to it. I have a huge black Australorp living with a tiny little Millie Fleur hen and they are the best of friends.
    Any chicks you buy , especially bantams will need to be at least 12-16 weeks old before you can even start thinking about introducing them to adult birds / again using the introduction cage method. ( some adult hens are more docile THAN others )

3. Howlet

Howlet Chirping

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    ok thank u XD and i know my question is confusing.... i need to work on wording... and i believe ppl reccomend using a dog crate and setting it in the middle of the coop...?? i saw it on you tube but i learned everything on there CANT b true since i dyed my hair blue and my hands were blue longer then my hair :p

4. CollegeChicken

CollegeChicken Chirping

Jun 3, 2014
    haha that is too funny...I did a similiar thing when I tried a do it yourself painting project and I ended up more painted than the project.
    Keep in mind the things I already told you regarding your questions, but if you need further help in the future, knowing these things would be helpful :
    How many ADULT birds do you currently have?
    Are they all definitely hens?
    How many do you plan on getting?
    Is having a rooster an issue for you where you live or for any other reason?
    How large is their coop/run?
    Are they allowed to free range for a portion of the day?

5. Howlet

Howlet Chirping

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    well a rooster is a problem since were in somewhat close quarters with neighbors and are currently trying to re-home ours

we free range until about 7

well actually idk if there fully hens.. a pullet is a hen until it lays right :p srry kinda new >.< and there run isnt especially big since we free range mostly.

6. Howlet

Howlet Chirping

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    oh and yes were pretty sure the remaining ones are all female there due next week on laying lol dat is if everything does planned :/

7. CollegeChicken

CollegeChicken Chirping

Jun 3, 2014
    well thats good hopefully you did get lucky and get mostly pullets...to me that really is the only downside to bantams ( if youre looking for a 'pet chicken' ) Ive had quite experienced people be very wrong about sexing my birds, it truly is just so hard to tell with those tiny breeds. I seem to have luck with Millie Fleurs tho lol... if there are no predators in your area and they can free range around the yard most of the day then that is great....I agree if you do end up with a rooster you would probably want to rehome him before you annoy any neighbors

8. Howlet

Howlet Chirping

Jul 31, 2014
    Maryland
    My Coop
    we just actually got home from dropping my boy off at the humane society >.< I MISS HEARING THAT ANNOYING CACKLING!!!!

9. Peeps61

Peeps61 Songster

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    I have a flock of standard hens. Out of nowhere, a bantam hen showed up and "joined" the flock. She would be standing outside the run in the morning waiting for me to open the run and let the big girls out so she could go in and eat the layer feed. She's already watered herself from the waterer I have outside the coop. The big girls really don't pay her too much attention. However, I don't lock her in with them. She roosts in a tree in the yard at night and hangs out with the flock during the day. I don't know if she's laying yet or not. I haven't seen any bantam size eggs in the nesting boxes or around the property - I do a pretty good search every few days. She appears to be fairly young. So, my answer would be that it's probably OK as long as they are integrated properly first (slowly).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: