Is mixing birds ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by backyarder717, Nov 18, 2009.

1. backyarder717

backyarder717 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Hey all,

I am new to the BYC thing... Something I am doing for the kids... So, Can I mix hens with roosters in the coop or do I need to keep the roosters seperate? I only have three birds now but in a few days I am getting 3 hens and a rooster (RIR's). I am told the hens are "rooster picked"? So do I need to keep them seperate? Is roosters picking on hens normal? We have a large coop (8x12).

And what about the three birds I have now? (Old english batmans). Small birds. Will they ALL be ok together in the coop??? Mixing breeds?

Thanks!!
    Joe

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I don't know about adding large fowl (especially the rooster) into a flock of bantams. I have a feeling it will end unpleasantly. The large chickens will probably do okay together but you should keep them away from the bantams. Chickens can be brutes.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, you're going to have to play it by ear and watch things. If you've been reading here hopefully you've seen posts about isolating new birds before you mix them together. The new birds can carry disease to the old ones, or catch something from them, the stress of getting moved to a new site can bring on symptoms so some observation time is a good idea.

I've known plenty of people who have banties mixed in with standards, but it might be a little tricky. It's going to help that the 'new kids' are the standards, and I've seen bantam hens who are on the top of the pecking order even though they're smaller than the rest. Once they're out of isolation, if you can seperate the two groups into two seperate pens so they can get used to the sight and sound of each other it should help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by