Is moldy hay REALLY, truly, bad?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wings, Mar 4, 2009.

  1. wings

    wings Chillin' With My Peeps

    780
    0
    139
    Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I use hay for nesting boxes, and there is some on the floor for litter. I have about a whole bale of hay that got wet. I spent a whole day airing it out in the sun, but it is still a little moldy. I know you're not SUPPOSED to use moldy hay, but what is bad about it? I have so much, that it seems like a waste. What should I do with it if I can't use it?
     
  2. scbatz33

    scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

    Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    the mold spores cause lung infections. I have read you shouldn't use hay at all because of breathing problems the pollen and what not can cause.

    I use straw - good, clean, mold free straw
     
  3. Jolly Acres

    Jolly Acres Out Of The Brooder

    96
    0
    29
    Jan 31, 2009
    Paris Twp., OH.
    damp moldy hay would be a nasty health hazard.
    even dry dusty hay is not a good idea.
    Yes, it is REALLY, truly, bad..
     
  4. wings

    wings Chillin' With My Peeps

    780
    0
    139
    Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Darn! What do I do with it? I have a compost pile...
     
  5. Jolly Acres

    Jolly Acres Out Of The Brooder

    96
    0
    29
    Jan 31, 2009
    Paris Twp., OH.
    That's what I did with some I had go bad.
    Almost caught fire during the summer then. [​IMG]
     
  6. wings

    wings Chillin' With My Peeps

    780
    0
    139
    Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:WO! [​IMG]
     
  7. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

    PUT THAT HAY IN THE COMPOST PILE!!!!!!!!!

    Mycotoxicosis can inhibite the immune system, reduce digestibility, reduce production, and lead to death. Don't risk it, copost it.

    Jim
     
  8. wings

    wings Chillin' With My Peeps

    780
    0
    139
    Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

    PUT THAT HAY IN THE COMPOST PILE!!!!!!!!!

    Mycotoxicosis can inhibite the immune system, reduce digestibility, reduce production, and lead to death. Don't risk it, copost it.

    Jim

    Okay, then! I guess I'll put it in the compost pile!​
     
  9. rooster0209

    rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    i have read that you can grind it w/feed for cows....NOT pregnant cows either. In very small amounts as to not cause toxicity issues. Warning to not add lots of hay each time, so the cows will eat too much at one time.

    best scenario is compost pile or ground cover for the garden or flower beds
     
  10. wings

    wings Chillin' With My Peeps

    780
    0
    139
    Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Quote:That's what I'll do. [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by