Is music detrimental to hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by frigginchi, Dec 10, 2012.

1. frigginchi

frigginchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    Saratoga, CA
    I have music on 24/7 where the eggs are incubating. Good? Bad? No difference?

2. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Unless you have it so loud its vibrating things its probly good or indifferent

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would say no difference. My eggs are incubated with all sorts of noises. Barking dogs.. TV.. Arguing children.. Us yelling at the dogs :p

I haven't seen a difference between chicks subjected to these sounds, and chicks not subjected to these sounds.

Can't hurt.

I would say music would help acclimate chicks to noises ONCE they've hatched. They'd be less likely to jump out in fear if they heard a bump in the night :)

1 person likes this.
  4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have done exhaustive studies on music and chickens - it seems that they will hatch faster of played rock and roll, slower if played country and never get out of there shell with opera.

Sorry, I am kidding. I have a late meeting at work but would rather be home with my 14 day incubated eggs.

What in the world have I become?

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

:yuckyuck

I have heard hens lay better when played Bluegrass. Tried it. No change noted other than my ears bleeding when I collected eggs.

6. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    They say kids do better on tests after listening to classical..maybe chicks hatch better too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by