Is my 12 week Ameraucana a roo or a hen? I think I heard it try to cro

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mazzkeel, Jun 11, 2011.

1. mazzkeel

mazzkeel New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    I am trying to tell if my12 weel old Ameraucana is a rooster or a hen. I think I heard it try and crow. Can I post a picture?

2. mazzkeel

mazzkeel New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It's a cockerel. What color is he supposed to be?

4. greenbird

greenbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Definitely a boy, look at his tail

5. mazzkeel

mazzkeel New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    @Jean, thanks! I had the chicks sexed but I know it isn't a 100%. I started hearing what sounded like a crow ... or an attempt at a crow. This morning we heard a definite crow ... very early (lol).

As a day-old chick he was the color of a baby penguin - black on top with a yellowish/white on the bottom. My son named her Happy Feet. Now, he is black with irridescent green on his tail feathers. Within the last week he has begun to get a fawn color colar around his neck. He also has a few white feathers under his wing area. I think he will grow up to be very pretty ... or handsome as the case may be.

We had originally ordered five "females" two Silky Bantams, a Plymouth Barred Rock, a Welsummer, and the Araucauna. Two died within the first 24-36 hours. These three are left - the two silkies and Happy Feet. We were hoping for all hens as we are not allowed a rooster in our county. Really don't want to get rid of him but I know the neighbors will complain.

6. mazzkeel

mazzkeel New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Thanks Greenbird. That tail was making me suspicious and then the crowing came! So much for paying extra for sexing. [​IMG]

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The reason I asked was because I thought he might be an easter egger. Now that you have called him an ameraucana and an araucana, I'm pretty sure he's an ee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by