Is my 12 week old pekin bantam too small????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aussie new mum, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Hi
    Sorry but I have another question. How quickly should pekin bantams grow. Mine has probably a bit more than doubled in size between when we got her at 6 weeks and now at 12 weeks. She doesn't have a comb yet. Is she ok? What age do they reach full size and when should her comb appear?
    Thanks again

2. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Give her until about 6 months to get to a good size and she will continue to fill out until a year old. You should be glad she doesn't have a comb yet, a good sign she is a she. Her comb will slowly grow and by the time she is around 5 months old it will get red showing she is getting close to sexual maturity.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I have a bantam cochin hen...over a year old...that weights 5 ounces. Some are smaller than others although that is not necessarily a good thing. Usually it's caused by inbreeding too much.

They'll continue to grow some but I understand that they are considered "full grown" at age 16 weeks. They will continue to fill out, but not necessarily get taller.

4. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Thank you so much for your help. I've never raised a chick before. Lolly, the 12 month old I adopted from my neighbours as she had been injured by their chickens. We got her a friend, Olivia, when Olivia was 6 weeks old so had no idea what to expect in terms of growth. You guys are awesome!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by