Is my 17-week old RIR a pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrs. Linkletter, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Mrs. Linkletter

Mrs. Linkletter New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    WI
    Hello all,

This is my first post on BYC and the first time I've tried to post a picture ever! So my apologies now if I don't do this correctly....We are smitten new chicken owners to 6 BRs and 5 RIRs. They were sold to us as pullets and we are sure (thanks to BYC experts!) that our BRs are all girls.

One of our RIR looked different from early on - we are quite positive that he is a boy, Mike. But in the last three weeks, one of other RIRs, Caramel, has undergone some big changes in her comb and wattle development. What do you think - earlier developing pullet or later developing roo? I've also included Jolene in a couple pictures, who looks like the other three RIRs and I'm assuming is a girl. No eggs, no crowing from any of them, but one evening last week I heard what I thought was an egg song (Bawk bawk baGAAAAAWK x 10) - and it was coming out of Caramel.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!!

Maevis

I've uploaded photos but I don't know if they are going to appear.
    Caramel
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mike
    [​IMG]

(THANK YOU hereforlovinglady for helping me post!!!!)
    Jolene
    [​IMG]
    Jolene, Mike, Caramel
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Maevis,

you have to cut and paste the link. first open up your thread, click on edit on your post, go to your uploads (should open up in new window), in the bottom right corner is My uploads, click on that. your pictures will appear, and you will have two choices (thumb or Image). highlight the information next to image and do control c to copy it and then go back to your post and put your cursor in the white space and hit control v to paste it.

hope this works

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Mike is definitely a boy and caramel is a pullet. [​IMG] Jolene looks pullet to me too but someone else can chime in on that one. I'm no expert but I do have four 17 week old RIR pullets. And one of them just started laying, like I am thinking your caramel is getting ready to do. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  4. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:X2

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:X2

X3

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Mike is a rooster, and Caramel is a hen either laying or about to.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Here are two of my 17 week old pullets - the one in the back is laying and the one in the front looks like she wants to. [​IMG] Just as a comparison - you can see they get really red combs!

[​IMG]

8. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    yep mike is a mike and the other two are ladies. you should be getting you some eggs soon.

BTW: you are welcome!

9. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Quote:x4 [​IMG]

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Bird in the third pic is a roo...first two are hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by