Is my 17YR Son to old to show chicken at the fair?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sallykru, Jan 18, 2017.

1. sallykru

sallykru New Egg

Jan 18, 2017
    Hi I'm a mother of a jr. In high school 17yrs. and he has started rating chicken/roosters from the egg and up. A close family friend gave them to my son with an incubator as well. Long story short he loves raising them and has shown an interest in showing them. OK so my concerns are from watching videos ect. Showing are 6&17yrs children or girls showing them and does my son need to join ffa. I'm so excited that my son has actually have an interest other than Ps4 time... So help me understand this because in couragING my son to go forth with this is really opened him up. My son's dad & I are divorced and has not been a big major impact on him causing him to close out everyone and everything. But it's been a year he's been raising the roosters and hens and I can't be more happy cause he has opened up to me and his grades are up its absolutely a positive impact on all of us. So this brings me to can he show his chickeno or should he have someone else....? Help me keep this positive momentum going.

2. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

How nice that poultry has helped your son and he now has a rewarding hobby. I've never shown chickens at a fair but perhaps the rules are different for each state. This link will help you get to your state thread where you can ask members that live in your area:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Good luck to you and your son, it's nice to have you here!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome! Pleased you joined us and awesome in that you are taking such an interest in this. I agree with NFC...visit your state thread and see what your local regulations might be. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

4. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under sallykru [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry, living in Aus I am not familiar with your shows and fairs. However, I just wanted to say that I am pleased that your son has found something that he enjoys and wish him and you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I would think if the fair is open to anyone showing birds, your son would be welcome. I think only in showmanship(kids) classes do they have to be a certain age.

7. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

[​IMG]
    There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by