Is my 1wko BCMarans girl, a boy?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eagrbeavr, Mar 22, 2016.

1. eagrbeavr

eagrbeavr Chillin' With My Peeps

This little one here seems to stand upright more than the others, and then today I thought to look at it's legs. Is it me, or are these legs a bit thick to be a pullet?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    How do its wings compare to the others? Are they stubbier? Males in some breeds have retarded wing development compared to the pullets. The girls feathers on their wings will be much longer and staggered in length, while his will be almost non-existent and in an even row.

But wait another week or two, and if you see the comb of this chick turning a definite red color while the others have pale yellowish-pink combs, you can then be almost certain you have a cockerel.

3. eagrbeavr

azygous Thanks. I know its early. Its just those legs! I've never had a marans so I dont know at all how they grow. This ones legs are clearly thicker than the two buckeye girls its brooding with. I'll take a closer look to its wing feathers. Chick was bought as a pullet from Cackle via a local feed store. Boy I'll be bummed if it is.

Last year I had a couple chicks end up boy, so the rest of the development I'm familiar with.

Thanks again.

4. eagrbeavr

Well actually by looking at the pics, those wings seem proportional, ya think?

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by proportional.

Marans pullets, especially Cuckoo, are hefty compared to many other breeds, so this could be a pullet in spite of her legs appearing thicker than your others. Some breeds have thicker legs, and some have slender stems.

I think you need to just be patient for another couple weeks and compare combs. If this is a cockerel, you'll notice a real difference in tint, between pink and yellowish, the first gradually deepening to red over the next several weeks.

6. TillyPeeps

TillyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2015
    Central PA
    The legs do like thick, but it doesn't necessary mean it's a male. I have pullet with big legs, which made me so nervous because no roo allowed here. But she turned out to be a pullet.

7. eagrbeavr

Thanks Tilly. They all have their little combs popping up, so that'll be next on the watch list. I sure hope this is a girl. Thanks again.

8. eagrbeavr

avygous, I just meant they didnt seem stubby or smaller than the others, since you had mentioned to take notice. I know. Be patient :) Nice to know theres so many well seasoned people to have weigh in. Thanks

9. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    My BC Marans chicks did NOT have the 'fast feathering for pullets' genetics. Four chicks were faster feathering than the others, but it was random. Two were cockrels, and their combs changed early. Mary

10. eagrbeavr

Thank you Mary. I came across a thread where someone posted the same concern of their BCM. Several came back telling theres also had thick legs.and in two weeks the comb should be telling the story.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by