1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my 6 week old Ameraucana chick a rooster ?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by brooklynbirds18, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brooklynbirds18

brooklynbirds18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    Hi, I have 10 birds, 6 adult and 4 babies. Of the four babies we got a buff Orpington, Plymouth barred rock, and two Ameraucanas. I wonder about my ameraucana, Brooklyn and I'm pretty sure she's a silver ameraucana. So far she is the biggest of the 4 more birds we got recently. I really never thought she seemed like one but she does have a very weird and full comb on top while the other 3 birds barely have theirs grown. She loves being held and touched, while with the other birds she's the most aggressive. All of her fur and feathers grow in a weird way too, they're look like they are all separate pieces. We have another ameraucana as well and she is all brown for the most part while Brooklyn is black and white everywhere and retained most of her baby colors. She makes strange sounds lately, but I honestly don't know what that could be from. Just made this account to find out. Thanks
    Here are some pictures over the past few weeks, the last few are from today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    I dont have Ameraucanas but that looks like a rooster.

[​IMG]

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D
    You could try posting a clear picture of the head in the What Breed or Gender section of the forum

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, BrooklynBirds18, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! I concur with 1muttsfan. I am the worst at telling gender on chickens. Hope it turns out to be what you want!

5. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    Thanks, I posted this in the what breed forum and was told she's a rooster :p can't believe it lol

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. x3 looks like a roo to me, too.

7. brooklynbirds18

Nov 30, 2012
    Arizona
    It's weird tho, because she blends in with the others as just a little aggressive but It didn't occur to me that she was a rooster, plus shouldn't be roosters be less friendly with people? Brooklyn loves to pet touched and held and is the only bird I have that responds to my calls, and follows me too ha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by