1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my 7 Month old Silkie Hen a BOY????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aaggjg, Sep 28, 2012.

1. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    So Tiger my Blue Partridge Silkie that was voted a girl here on BYC a few months ago crowed .... I think.... a meek little crow. I have heard of hens crowing but its weird because she is a loner chicken very gentle and girl like, huge round pouf, small comb blah blah blah .... When I told my mom, she said oh no so is Tiger a boy? I of course said NO SHE IS NOT.... but well she crowed again this morning so now I am thinking she is a he [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

She is a blue partridge but the brown two tone coloring is really hard to see on her .... I took a bunch of pictures this morning so hopefully they are good enough for you all to weigh in and let me know if I just have a really sweet wimpy boy ..... and if so anybody in LA want a very sweet beautiful silkie boy .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What do you all think???? Thanks for the help.......

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    there is nothing on that silkie to indicate a cockerel. the comb is way to small and the there are no streamers from the crest. also the saddles and hackles (granted are hard to tell) looks like those i see on pullets

post some side shots of all the others that could have also made this noise. but if it is a cockerel i live in leesville,la and would love to have him if your not to far away

3. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    Well I have a a BEAUTIFUL Black Partridge young cockerel who crowed his first crow today ... so he has to go. I am in Los Angeles so sadly I am too far as I'd love you to get him! When I ran into the coop to Shhhhh the boy, Tiger made a meek crow / noise ..... and I had heard this same noise the other day and ran into the coop grabbed the known boy and then heard another meek crow and when I looked down I swear it came from Tiger but I wasn't sure.... Today she / he confirmed it as she/he was standing alone at a different end of the run. Like I said she has always been very shy quiet and very girly.... I have read that Alpha hens in the absence of a roo will crow but she is not the Alpha hen.... but is of the group of oldest hens in that coop.... So I am really confused..... I have a few more pictures let me post them to see if they give you any more information.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Girl. She should be laying, or about to.

5. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    Okay here are 2 more pictures of tiger and 1 picture of the OBVIOUS BOY Partridge .....

BOY .....

[​IMG]

TIGER CONT .......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    you sure it wasn't the boy you heard crow instead every pic of the one in question shows a pullet

7. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011
    yes sadly I am .... He was standing to my right and then I hear a meek crow to my left and there was Tiger.... She looks girly right?? I thought maybe I was loosing my mind.....

8. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    if you can separate this one from the rest of the flock for a few weeks and see what happens, if she lays or crows then you would know for sure, or if they are laying use food coloring around the vent area on her to see if any of your eggs turn out with colored streaks.

how far are you from leesville,la? i would love to have it if it turns out to be a cockerel. also how much would you be asking for (s)he?

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Tiger is a cockerel. Much better quality than the other one, but very definitely male. I hope you can keep him; he is very nice looking!

10. aaggjg

Sep 29, 2011

No!!!!!! Not my Tiger....... Did I say NOOOOOOOOO!!! How do you know?? He .... Went toe to toe today with my alpha hen .... He? Usually is a loner .... Standing off by himself and not really interacting with the other chikrns.... So today when the two coops were out he and the alpha hen were locked on each other.... So unlike Tiger..... :( Tiger has been a very strange sweet loner chicken... Always the most docile lovely bird ...... Omg I am crushed ..... I live in Los Angeles and can not keep rooster... It totally figures as I only hatch boys.....isold Tigers only hatch mate and it turned out to be a stunning black boy..... Crowing for months now huge comb etc etc.... I thought I had magically picked the girl..... No crowing no comb.... Well until now..... He ? Has only made two febile attempts at crowing..... Not even close to full blown crowing.... I am a newbie to silkies.... What makes Tiger a better silkie then the black partridge (picture is terrible .... Looks much nicer in person) well besides the fact the hr? Looks like a girl????

Thanks I think.... I'm going off to cry ..... :(

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by