Is my 7 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte a pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sixchickadees, Jul 5, 2011.

1. sixchickadees

sixchickadees Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    We're new to chickens, and recently got 4 chicks: a Buff Orpington, a Plymouth Rock, a New Hampshire Red, and a Silver-Laced Wyandotte. Our SLW seems to be looking a bit like a rooster, especially because his/her comb seems significantly more pink/red than than the other 3. They will be 7 weeks old tomorrow.
    Could somebody give an opinion as to the gender of our SLW, please?
    Here is a link to some pictures:
    http://www.greentearex.com/Green_Tea_Rex/Sparrow.html
    Thanks!
    By the way, Sparrow is (hopefully her) nickname.

2. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Sorry...that looks like a roo...the redness at 7 weeks and wattle growth are significant.

3. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Sparrow's wattles and comb look similar to my cockerels at 6 weeks although your bird looks more feathered out than mine was at that age. I would still quess boy!
    [​IMG]
    7 week head shot
    [​IMG]
    13 weeks definately cockerel

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I wouldn't say 100% sure roo just yet, both of my girls had plenty of red at that age and both grew up to big beautiful pullets. I've attached a picture of one at 7 weeks for comparison, and you can plainly see the red and size of her comb and wattles which never started getting any bigger until she was approx. 16 weeks.

[​IMG]

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    [​IMG]

My guess would be a cockerel.

6. sixchickadees

sixchickadees Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Thanks for the input!!! I'll post more pics soon as she gets older to try to reassess.
    I have a few questions though. What are the main differences in feathering between pullets and cockerels when they are young (about Sparrow's age)? Also, at what age should their combs and wattles be fully grown? (for any breed, or does it vary?)
    Thanks again!!!

7. Ann1986

Ann1986 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    So what did he/she become?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by