Is my 7 wk old Jersey Giant ill, or just different?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by muscovylove, Mar 17, 2013.

1. muscovylove

muscovylove Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Hi all, I am so happy to be here!!
    I have 3 seven week old pullets to add to my flock of 4 two year old hens- I have a Jersey Giant and 2 Silver laced Wyandottes. The Jersey has always been a bit behind the others in development; not in size- but in behavior. The SLW's are gregarious, love to explore and will climb up on my shoulder when I hold them. The JG is timid- when they were a week old she would collapse if one of us picked her up to handle her. She seems skinny to me- not aggressive with food, and lies down a lot. My family tells me that I am completely paranoid, but I'm unsure if she's sick- or are JG's just a completely different breed than the SLW's- especially in personality as pullets???
    I wanted to put them outside in the coop- but the nights here are still 40 degrees (Portland OR), so they are still inside, with some outdoor time- and the JG seems to trail behind the others. She eats- but not with the gusto that the other ladies have. My main concern I think is that she seems lethargic compared to the others- and she definitely seems skinnier (but NOT smaller!)

Oh, any advice anyone might have will definitely help me to calm down!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    bigger birds do grow faster than other birds so they need more protein for their brains, if other birds have been bullying her she may not be getting enough food for her brain. I would feed her separate a bit of scrambled egg or tuna a couple times a day she should perk up.

3. muscovylove

Mar 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    thanks, and I read something similar today too. I offered some scrambled egg to her today, she pecked at it, not much more- I want to feed her separate, but she gets very very upset when I pull her from her 2 "sisters". I worry about the stress that causes her. I'll offer her egg again in the morning separate regardless and see how she does....

1 person likes this.
  4. muscovylove

Mar 17, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Just to let folks know- I did a bit of research for how JG's develop and realized that my girl was not able to keep up with the Wyandottes. I do have room for a few extra young chicks- and I bought a Cuckoo Maran and Light Brahma to hang out with the Jersey- both 2 weeks younger, and moved the Wyandottes to the interim coop outside. My JG immediately perked up, and is behaving like a completely different chicken. She's eating, scratching, preening the other chicks (they all are from the same place, therefore quarantine wasn't necessary- from what the folks told me) and is completely alive. Felt her crop tonight- after 3 days of it being almost completely flat I found it nice and squishy round. This is a really good lesson for me, as this was my first experience with baby chicks. My older flock I received as 16 week old pullets.

1 person likes this.
  5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    good job!

I did that when I first introduced my new borns to my 5 day olds. but now they are blended. I just added 3 new babies, they are probably 5 days old (my other birds are about 2weeks old and under). what I did was took all the older babies out of the pen and put in the three new babes. then took out one chick at a time and introduced them to the new ones. worked good no situations

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by