Is my 8 month old Dominique molting?

lutherpug

Crowing
6 Years
Jan 5, 2014
Kansas City Area
Is Mabel molting? 8 months old-she was hatched this past April.

She is all pin feathers around her neck-I tried to snap some good pics but this is as close as I could get to her. Seems awful early. Not to mention it is the middle of winter.

Thoughts? I don't think she is getting bullied but I suppose it is possible. I only have 3 hens at the moment-my Dom, a RIR, and an Australorp. I did have a bullying problem with the RIR and the Australorp but that got resolved with additional feeders. Plus, the Dom is nowhere near as passive temperamentally as the Australorp.

30sq ft in the coop 60sq ft in the run. They're not overcrowded...

Thanks

Young birds go through a series of molts as they grow their adult feathers. I believe I've read that there are 8 molts before the big blow out that comes around 18 months. If you think about it, it makes sense. Remember the little chicks when they got that first set of wing feathers? Now, look how big those wing feathers are!!!

Yep, she is molting. I've had plenty of 8 and 9 month old birds molt over the years. Birds at this age tend to go through very minor molts. (neck feathers or tail feathers)

Thanks for all of the info! Silly bird, why wait until it is cold out?
idunno.gif

Follow up question-

It is supposed to get downright crazy cold this weekend. Our weatherman just said -8 actual temp on Sunday morning. Is she going to be okay with no neck feathers??

They've been fine so far but it hasn't gotten much below 10-15 degrees.....

Thanks!

She should be fine. They can tuck their head under a wing if the get too cold. I've seen my light brahma do it many times. Chickens are well adapted to the cold, they have more trouble with heat.

Back
Top Bottom