Is my Abigail a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PDXChickGirl, Oct 29, 2007.

1. PDXChickGirl

PDXChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    My sweet Ameracauna crowed 4 times yesterday. I'm in the city, so I won't be able to keep her if she is a rooster, and the very thought is breaking my heart.[​IMG]

Abigail is 11 weeks old today. She doesn't have any spurs, and she walks like a hen. BUT she just started getting some skinny feathers in her saddle area.

Here are some pics. They aren't great because she doesn't like to pose for the camera. I read in some posts that a dominant hen could crow, so I'm hoping.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At 8 weeks: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you for any advice...

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    In the one pic it looks like pointy saddle feathers.

My girls are 12 weeks and just now starting to cluck, much less crow.

I think you have a roo, but I'm no expert - we'll wait and see what everyone else thinks...

I hope I'm wrong! [​IMG]

3. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    In the fourth pic, it's hard to see, but I do see pointy tail feathers. I would say, going by that, the red, red comb and the fact Abigail is crowing that She is a HE. Sorry. [​IMG]

4. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    :heWow... my roo must be an over-achiever! He's been trying to crow since he was 7 weeks old! Notice I said TRYING b/c I don't think he's getting any better yet! [​IMG]

If you were closer, I'd take 'Abigail'. So far it's looking like we'll only have one roo for 21 hens! [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Looks like a roo to me...sorry!

6. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Roo.

7. PDXChickGirl

PDXChickGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    Quote:[​IMG] I just spent the last hour in the coop with Abigail. She (ugh I guess "he") just sat on my lap and fell asleep while I scratched his neck (and I bawled). She is so sweet. And I know you're not supposed to have favorites, but she is mine. I will need to find a good home for him. I wish i could give him to you.

Anyone know anyone in the Portland area who is looking for a really sweet roo and won't eat him? [​IMG]

8. EggCentric

EggCentric Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Ball Ground, Ga
    Get one of those air horns in a can, every time he crows, lean out the window and give the horn a blast. The neighbors will completely ignore the crowing and focus on the horn!

9. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Rooster!!!

Sorry...but that is what I think you have.

Jean

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by