Is my ancona a.... A.... MAGPIE?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Dec 12, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    So I got 7 ducklings early spring last year and some people told me my black and white duck was a ancona, so I though "COOL" so I have been calling her my ancona for almost a year... Now ive been looking at hatcherys in TX with anconas to see where they may have gotten mine, and none have anconas, but ideal has magpies, could i have a magpie?!

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Do you have a pic ? Anconas have random spots and blotches all over. Magpies should have a more definded pattern with a patch on the head and a large patch/saddle on the back

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:She has no sploches. See the thing is I wanted to get a drake (ancona) for her to hatch pure babies [​IMG] would that still work? Let me get a pic real fast!

4. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    It's possible. They are very similar in markings, size, egg laying, etc. The only reason I know mine is an ancona and not a magpie is because she came from Orschelns and their ducks came from Estes, which has anconas but not magpies. Do you know or have any way of finding out what hatchery she came from?

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    [​IMG]

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:She doesn't have the "correct " color for a magpie but I have heard it is a hard pattern to get consistant and then especially comming from a hatchery, they wouldn't put effort into the pattern, so she may well be a hatchery magpie but some anconas can have a lot of black coverage like that so I couldn't say for sure.

7. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    How big is she? Ancona's are supposed to be bigger than magpies. Mine is bigger than my khaki, but slightly smaller than my swede mix drake.

8. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    She is about 6 or 7 lbs...

9. ChickenfootDuckbutt

ChickenfootDuckbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:mine were smaller than my two magpies, could fly some too, they were purebreds, from stock decended from holderheads.

she could either be a poorly marked magpie, or a poorly marked Ancona.

I can't really tell.

10. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    I'm trying to select for a heavier body, and more speckled markings, precisely cos of ambiguous situations like this!

It's tough. After all... this is also a hatchery Ancona - from cackle:
    [​IMG]

Your girl looks like a real sweetie, no matter what she is [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by