is my BA chick a roo? How can I tell?

peony07

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 13, 2009
Ferndale WA
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I love the advice and stories! This site has made our transition into fowl keepers a lot easier, thanks.
We just bought 4 chicks (2 Amer, 1 BR, 1 BA) from the feed store on Thursday (its' Sunday) and all is good with them, but I am getting curious about my BA. I read somewhere here that a way to distinguish a BA roo from a girl is the leg color, that a good indicator for girls is black coloring on her legs, is that true? My sweet little girl(?) has white legs. I just don't want to get too attached if I know I can't keep her (we live in a neighborhood with closer houses). She is also significantly bigger than the others and is the one who is always checking on what the other three are doing, very "in charge" like. Since I have only one BA I can't compare any of the characteristics.
Any thoughts?

Leg color is only on Barred Rocks, where the girls have a dark wash down the front of the yellow legs. All Australorps have dark legs. It's too early to tell, most likely. When the comb perks up and turns bright pink at a month or six weeks, you'll know if you have a rooster. The girls combs will stay yellow longer. I don't have BA's myself so not sure if the legs are whitish as babies or not.

Back
Top Bottom