Is my baby girl sick? Pale comb and legs

HALthebirdlady

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2021
My barred rock is 2 1/2 months old (10 weeks). I've noticed her legs are pale, not yellow. Her comb is also small and pale. Is this normal? Her behavior is normal. I rescued her, so she is my only chicken. She is an indoor chicken, which I've heard is a bad thing, so I'm mentioning this because she has no lice, Mites, bugs, and she's not around other chickens. I give her nutridrench everyday, and everything to my limited knowledge seems normal. If anyone thinks I have cause for immediate concern, please let me know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211204-221810_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-221810_Instagram.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20211204-222429_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211204-222429_Instagram.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 2

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
I give her nutridrench everyday, and everything to my limited knowledge seems normal.
She looks normal to me. A lot of Plymouth Barred Rocks have a horn colored wash on the legs.
At 10 weeks of age her coloring will be pale. As she matures she will start to pink and redden up.

I wouldn't give her Poultry Nutri-Drench every day. If she's eating a nutritionally balanced commercial chick starter feed, that should be sufficient.

What are your plans for her? Will she have a coop/run outside? Any thoughts of getting a a couple of more pullets about her same age to keep her company?

HALthebirdlady

In the Brooder
Dec 4, 2021
She looks normal to me. A lot of Plymouth Barred Rocks have a horn colored wash on the legs.
At 10 weeks of age her coloring will be pale. As she matures she will start to pink and redden up.

I wouldn't give her Poultry Nutri-Drench every day. If she's eating a nutritionally balanced commercial chick starter feed, that should be sufficient.

What are your plans for her? Will she have a coop/run outside? Any thoughts of getting a a couple of more pullets about her same age to keep her company?
Thank you so much for your reply! I won't do the nutridrench as much. Her coop is indoors. I'm going to look for a boyfriend for her when she's a little older. My neighbor also has a flock of chickens she sees through the glass door. She seems really scared, but they are adult chickens. The coop is indoors because of her age and the approaching winter in east Tennessee, which can be harsh. I'm hoping she'll warm up to other chickens, soon!

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
She may enjoy a boyfriend or not😅
With her being by herself she will be more timid of older chickens, so getting some that are close to her age, getting them all outside so they can do chicken things will relieve a lot of stress on her. Chickens delight in being outside in the fresh air and sunshine.
Barred Rocks are one of my favorite laying breeds, they do very well in winter and summer here in the Southern Mountains of NC.

Lavender6

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
Thank you so much for your reply! I won't do the nutridrench as much. Her coop is indoors. I'm going to look for a boyfriend for her when she's a little older. My neighbor also has a flock of chickens she sees through the glass door. She seems really scared, but they are adult chickens. The coop is indoors because of her age and the approaching winter in east Tennessee, which can be harsh. I'm hoping she'll warm up to other chickens, soon
I

Lavender6

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
It is my understanding if you have a rooster you need to have 10 chickens to one roo. If not it will wear her down and cause health problems. I am new to this but everyone told me to never have just one chicken because they will get depressed and lonely. Good luck. I had the same concern with the pale comb for mine.

Top Bottom